Monday, December 14, 2009

To set the record straight, I think that my driving skills are definitely above average.

I'm not going to pretend like I'm a pro at maneuvering a Class 3 vehicle, but I'm certainly not going to just sit down & allow others to simply assume that I have no clue as to what I'm doing.

Yes, I only passed on my 2nd attempt at the TP driving test, but on that attempt I managed to only get 6 points. Surely that counts for something?

OK fine, I believe that the TP test is largely based on luck, but still, I've been on the roads for about 4 months now. Not accident-free, but the only accident I've been involved in was my grazing of the right side mirror against a wall because I wasn't paying attention to where I was going. This was way back when I first got my license & I never had to get that mirror touched up because the grazes were so light/tiny, you wouldn't notice them unless you were looking for them.

You might think of my driving as reckless, or you might say that my driving is too jerky, "always brake & go, brake & go", but I think the facts speak for itself. I manage to get from point A to point B, in good time & with everyone + all their existing limbs still attached. The car is unharmed as well.

I didn't spend all that time + money taking driving lessons so that I could ferry people around, let alone to allow them to criticize my driving skills, especially when these people either haven't even started driving lessons, or aren't any better at driving than I am (although they would certainly love to pretend that they actually are).

I didn't go through the hassle of borrowing a car from either of my parents, to put myself through additional appraisals of my driving technique. The invigilator who tested me on my 2nd attempt at the TP test already passed me, so thanks for your 'concern' but I think I'll do fine without the incessant 'comments'.

Here's a suggestion: if you want a lift from me, then just get in & shut the fuck up. I'm not a taxi driver or a personal chauffeur, so if you don't think my driving's comfortable enough for you, then maybe you should just take a cab or better still, WALK. It's F.O.C. & it's good exercise too.

I think I've been nice enough to give people lifts, sometimes even those which are completely out of my way or those which require some sort of inconvenient detour. I'm not expecting eternal gratitude, but the least anyone could do would be to cut back on the passing of judgement.

Oh, & FYI, I don't completely rely on sensors to reverse a vehicle, thank you very much.

No comments: