Saturday, June 28, 2008


What a week.




I started the week at Nee Soon Camp, completely unsure of where I was headed to (because of posting on Wednesday).






If you've seen my previous post, you'd know that I've been posted to CBRD.




I was slightly disappointed at first, because I'd wanted EOD, but I was still really glad I made it into CBRE DG anyway, after all the selection tests they put us through. From the initial 110+ people who started out with the first selection test, to the final 80, final 46, final 37 (which later became 34 because 3 dropped out) and now being part of the 22 who were selected in the end, it's been nothing less than a rollercoaster ride, with plenty of gut-dropping moments.





I was quite surprised with the results, because a lot of the people whom I'd felt were far better candidates than I was, didn't get chosen. For this, I am thankful. And I really hope that those 12 who didn't get in don't feel disappointed or think that they're lousy. I know I'd have been upset for a while if I hadn't gotten in.









Anyway, it's been knowledge-intensive these 2 days. Lectures, lectures & more lectures. It feels like... MILITARY UNIVERSITY. All of us in one classroom, furiously taking down notes just so that we can pass the tests - which are nuts. If you fail the same test twice, you are dropped from the course. Apparently, it's because we're counter-terrorism, and we need to be as ready as the terrorists (and they will most likely be a walking handbook on explosives or chemical warfare). I think it's good for me though, because a lot of it is relevant to my 'A's. For example, I had to learn about how aromatic explosives are more stable than aliphatic explosives because aromatic explosives have a benzene ring (which contains C-C double bonds), making it more stable because more energy is required to break the double bonds. =P











Before I end this post, I'd like to put up a tribute to CHUBBY, who passed away yesterday.





The poor part-Bichon Frise part-Maltese has been suffering for a while, I guess it's better that his suffering has ended. I just regret not really spending enough time with him, thanks to Army.


But that's just an excuse, and I need to stop finding excuses to avoid commitments. Right. Now.

No comments: