Why are there so many cases of maid abuse nowadays?
It's not like these foreign women don't have it tough enough already; why make their lives tougher?
I don't know if it's due to work-related stress or a form of racial bigotry, but I guess Indonesian/Filipino women just don't quite count as human beings to some of our fellow Singaporeans.
I don't really know that much about laws pertaining to the treatment of domestic workers, but if there are so many abuse cases these days, then I'm pretty sure there's more that can be done.
Maybe there could be volunteer groups put together, to help monitor the situation of newly-employed maids, at least for a one to two months, to make sure that everything's alright.
We have volunteer groups who fight against animal abuse; why not one against maid abuse? If we can fight for our furry friends, then why not for fellow human beings?
Just a thought.
No comments:
Post a Comment