This evening, as we were preparing to book out, our Course Commander went M.I.A.
Naturally, we were a little more than annoyed, seeing how we needed his signature on our book-out form before we could leave camp. As our patience began to thin, somebody finally discovered the Course Commander's whereabouts.
"He's at the training shed at the back," someone exclaimed, "burning paper money."
Most of us dashed to the washing area (where we could have a good view of the training shed), and found not only our Course Commander, but several other high-ranking officers in charge of the Training Centre burning piles of what appeared to be slightly-yellowed paper.
"It's for the Hungry Ghost Festival," my course-mate promptly informed me, "Today's the first day of the festival."
Being a Singaporean Chinese, the Hungry Ghost Festival was nothing new to me. For those who know not of what I'm talking about, it's a month-long festival that falls on the seventh lunar month, celebrated by Chinese in certain parts of China, as well as Malaysia, and of course, our very own Sunny Singapore.
The Chinese believe that during this month, the spirits of those who have passed on return to the realm of the living, skulking among us unseen (by most of us, at least :P). I'm not very sure why they're called "Hungry Ghosts" though. I don't think they get to eat in the afterlife, save for this sole sacred month, so I suppose they're pretty hungry when they arrive here for their month-long vacation.
There are all sorts of superstition regarding this festival. For example, it's said that one shouldn't swim alone during this period of time, especially after nightfall, because evil spirits might drag you to a watery demise at the bottom of the pool. Also, it's best not to stay out late because you might run into evil spirits.
They even have 'Ge-Tai', which is basically a concert or performance put up for the Dead. Nobody sits in the front row, because it's supposedly reserved for the Dead.
I don't really know what to make of all these though, because as a Christian, I don't believe in the Hungry Ghost Festival. However, having said that, I don't know about the existence of ghosts. I've had more than my own fair share of spooky encounters, so I most certainly believe in the supernatural. To be honest, I'm not sure if whatever I experienced in each of those circumstances were the work of mischievous spirits or simply demonic forces at play.
I think on a sub-conscious level, I am wary of the Hungry Ghost Festival. I can't help but wonder if it's really all true, that the spirits of the deceased are roaming around us, unseen.
I don't know where I'm going with this blog post, because it's pretty random. But regardless of the amount of truth in such superstition, nobody can deny how such an event can greatly enrich our local culture. Really, it's pretty interesting albeit morbid. The name alone is enough to pique one's curiosity.
In any case, I think I'll think twice before staying out late this month.
No comments:
Post a Comment